Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my blog!

I was never a particularly strong minded feminist until I was pregnant with my baby daughter.  All of a sudden, the toy aisle, with its rows gender segregated and color coded set of my warning bells.

You see, I was a sheltered child, and I was raised with boxes and crates full of blocks, Lincoln logs, Lego's, trains and matchbox cars, as well as various random gifts from my generous aunts and uncles.  I had brothers, and while we were growing up we were supposed to share everything, from toys to pajamas to chores.

I  had no concept of a boy toy and a girl toy until one moment, standing in a tunnel of cheap plastic, irrevocably confronted by an inappropriately happy child model wielding a toy broom in glitter pink.  So my baby girl would have to play cook and play sweep and play iron while the neighborhood boys would be out play driving and play hunting dinosaurs?  That's when I decided to start a blog of hilariously awful toys.

Of course, motherhood and a whole host of other projects got in the way.  Now my daughter Cornelia has her own collection of toys, and I've realized that while some toys are hilariously offensive, almost all toys are hilarious. This blog exists to support that notion.

No comments:

Post a Comment